Title: Launch of the study on 5 socio-economic issues affecting Kenya ahead of the 2017 General Elections
Number of Registered Refugees In Kenya
|Post Date: 27 February 2017 | Category: General | Hits: 1246|
Kenya has been hosting refugees of different nationalities from across the region for over 20 years and is home to one of the biggest refugee camps in the world, Dadaab. (Karanja, November 2013)
Dadaab, was opened in 1991 as a temporary shelter for people fleeing civil war in neighbouring Somalia. Yet, prolonged violence and insecurity turned it over the years into a sprawling tent city (Aljazeera, 2016). Recently, there have been debates on whether the two camps in Kenya namely, Dadaab and Kakuma should be closed, mainly due to increased threats to national security. Between them, the two camps are home to more than 600,000 refugees.
- Dadaab is one of the biggest refugee camps in the world
- There has been a 2.34 percentage point decrease in the number of refugees in Kenya from 2012 to 2015
- 2013 records the highest number of refugees in Kenya at 617,223 within the period analyzed
- Between 2013 and 2014 there is a decrease of 31,860 refugees
- Ethiopia and Kenya are the biggest refugee-hosting countries in Africa
- (2016, November 16). Retrieved from Aljazeera: http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/11/kenya-delays-dadaab-refugee-camp-closure-months-161116130647820.html
- European Ressettlement Network. (2013). Retrieved from http://www.resettlement.eu: http://www.resettlement.eu/page/somali-refugees-kenya-ethiopia
- Karanja, L. K. (November 2013,). Asylum space in Kenya: evolution of refugee protection over 20 years . Forced Migration (FMR) 25th Anniversary collection, 1-3. Retrieved from http://www.fmreview.org/25th-anniversary/kiama-karanja.html
Comparative Analysis of KCSE performance.
Number of Registered Refugees In Kenya .
Corruption Perception Index 2016 – A Comparison of Kenya’s Score To Other African Countries.
Lecturer Student Ration In Select Universities.